RED CHILE BEEF EMPANADAS
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion diced
1.5 lbs ground beef
1 cup prepared red chile sauce
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
12 tbsp butter
1/2 cup water
- To make the filling, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in 1.5 lbs ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Add in 1 cup of prepared red chile sauce, stirring well. Simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from heat.
- To make the empanada dough, combine flour and salt. Use a pastry cutter to cut in 12 tbsp of butter. Add 1 egg and 1/2 cup of water and mix until dough comes together.
- Roll the dough out on a clean and floured surface to about 1/8″ thickness, then use the ring of a mason jar or a cookie cutter to cut dough into circles.
- Take remaining dough, form into a ball, and roll back out and cut into circles until all dough is used. Use a rolling pin to roll each circle a couple more times until it’s 50% larger.
- Add about 1/8th cup of the red chile beef mixture to the center of each empanada disc. Fold one side over and seal the edge with your fingers, then use a fork to seal each side. Repeat for all remaining empanadas, then place on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk an egg, then brush onto the top of each empanada. Bake empanadas in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.